Effective Date: September 6, 2018
Throughout this policy, “us,” “our,” and “we” refer to LCA. “You” and “your” refers to any person using the Site.
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
User Provided Information
LCA’s online content is free, though you may be required to have an account with us to access this content. If you choose to sign up for our email list to stay up to date on new developments at LCA, and to receive notifications about upcoming events and educational programs, you must provide your full name and email address.
We also collect personal information directly from you when you apply for legal services, register as a volunteer, or donate to our organization, which include:
- first and last name;
- email address;
- mailing address; and,
- telephone number.
Depending on the nature of your request or inquiry, the required information above will be combined with the following additional details:
- date admitted to the Bar; areas of legal practice and areas of arts interest; state(s) in which you are licensed to practice law; and Illinois ARDC number to process Illinois MCLE credit (for attorneys);
- whether you are seeking advice as an individual, group, etc.; whether you are seeking pro bono or reduced fee legal assistance; household income and other financial information for you and any individuals to be jointly represented as a part of your arts organization (if seeking pro-bono assistance; the arts-related activity(ies) related to requested legal assistance; a brief description of your legal issues; the State in which your legal issue arises or occurred; the names of and contact information for additional parties that may be involved; and a client declaration concerning our client referral policies and procedures (for applicants for legal service)
- any donation or payment amounts.
While not required, we may also collect information such as: occupation, job title, company, states in which you are licensed to practice law, or any school affiliation.
Automatically Collected Information
How We Use and Share Personal Information
Uses of Personal Information
We use the information you submit as described on our site, to respond to your request, or to otherwise help us in processing your request. This includes processing applications for legal assistance, processing donations, processing MCLE credit, registering volunteers, and registering individuals for events and educational programs. It also includes alerting recipients on our email list of upcoming events, educational programs, and news so they may stay current on new developments related to LCA. We may periodically contact you with offers, surveys, and information about our services, your subscription, legal notices, or other important information.
We also work with Google to analyze your use of the Site, including the time and duration of your use of the Site or other information about your interaction with our online content. This data will not identify you personally; it is used to help us improve the functionality of the Site.
Sharing of Personal Information
We do not ordinarily share your personal information. This may, however, be necessary to register you for events and administer our educational programs and events. You authorize us to share such information with any business partners co-presenting our programs.
We may also use trusted third-party service providers or other third-party organizations helping to support our mission by collecting, storing, or sharing personal information on our behalf, such as to complete your donations and other payments you make to LCA.
By joining our email list, you agree that we may provide to third parties your email address, and other information necessary to register you for LCA programs, record payments and refunds, and other activities related to your participation in such programs and activities of LCA.
We may also share your information in the event that it is necessary for any of the following reasons:
- To protect our rights or property or the safety of our employees or others;
- To comply with any court order, legal process, or respond to any governmental or regulatory request; or,
- To transfer information in the event of a merger, transfer of assets, or other organizational restructuring.
Your Choices Regarding the Personal Information We Collect
We will honor your choices concerning our collection, use, or sharing of personal information about you. For example, if you have requested commercial email communications from us (e.g., newsletters and communications regarding our services) but do not wish to receive further information, you may “opt out” of receiving such by following the instructions contained in those email messages. At any time, you may change your browser cookie settings, and you may also contact us as described below to request that we do any of the following:
- Update, correct, or delete personal information about you;
- Provide you with access to personal information about you;
- Withdraw your consent to marketing or other communications; and,
- Change your preferences regarding our sharing of personal information with third parties.
Although you may unsubscribe at any time from any e-marketing platform we use, you agree that our staff attorneys may email or otherwise directly contact you regarding any requested legal assistance unless or until you withdraw such request.
LCA is committed to maintaining your confidence and trust, and we take reasonable security measures to protect your information, including the use of appropriate physical, technical, and administrative controls. However, no security system is impenetrable, and no transmission or electronic storage of information is guaranteed to be secure. We therefore urge you to always use caution when transmitting information over the Internet.
The Site is not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information from children under 13 years of age; however, we may obtain information about children of any age if provided by a parent, guardian, or other adult seeking our services on behalf of a minor.
We are based in Illinois in the United States. While we do not actively service or target international users, the information you submit to us and that we automatically collect as a result of your using the Site will be transferred to the United States, where the privacy and data protection rules may differ from those in your country. By using our Site, you consent to the international transfer to, and storage of, your personal information in the United States.
Your California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine The Light” law permits residents of California to annually request and obtain information free of charge about what personal information is disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. We do not disclose your personal information to third parties for the third parties’ own direct marketing purposes.
Lawyers for the Creative Arts
161 North Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60601
Last updated: January 21, 2022